Looking for things to do in Chicagoland this weekend? Here are over 60 family friendly events happening in Chicago and the suburbs this weekend!
Family Friendly Events in Chicagoland This Weekend:
7:30 AM – Donut Eating Contest & Fundraiser at Blue Goose Market in St. Charles. Register to be a contestant or cheer them on during the live donut eating contest to raise money for the Salvation Army on National Doughnut Day!
10:00 AM – Safety Town Open Road Kick Off at the Elmhurst Park District. Rental fees will be waived for this kickoff event.
10:00 AM – Free Storytime Yoga at Lunges ‘n Lattes. For ages 24 months – 5 years.
- Creative Movers on Saturday at 10:30
- Ages pre-K to 9.
10:00 AM – 74th Annual Winnetka Children’s Fair.
- Also runs Saturday 10 – 3 pm.
11:00 AM – Bubble Show with Saplings Kids Club at Yu Kids Island. “We will show you our beautiful fire bubbles, magical smoky bubbles, square bubbles, our bubble rainbows, snakes, bubble donuts and much more unforgettable bubbles.”
11:00 AM – Tremont Turkey Festival
- Runs through Sunday!
11:00 AM – 36th Annual Chicago Blues Festival at Millennium Park
- Runs through Sunday!
- FREE admission!
12:00 PM – Gateway to Tree Science: Opening Weekend at The Morton Arboretum
- The exhibit opens to the public with tours on Friday, June 7, 12:00-3:00 p.m., and Saturday, June 8, 9:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. Tram rides to the site will be offered at the Visitor Center for $3. Explore the new exhibit, and meet some of the Arboretum scientists who developed it!
1:00 PM – $10 Drop-in Family Painting at Art Life Studio in Lombard.
- Each participant decides what to paint– there is no set project. Bring your own idea, bring a picture you like, or get inspired in the studio by one of our projects! Each participant needs a ticket. (adult & child for example)
4:00 PM – Villa Park EID Fest Carnival
- 20+ carnival rides
- 10+ restaurants
- 45+ shop bazaar
- Don’t miss the fireworks on Saturday night!
- Runs through Sunday
5:00 PM – First Fridays Aurora
- First Fridays is a free event featuring art, music, and more. Enjoy several venues open to the public for a night of art, food and culture in downtown Aurora. Don’t miss the food trucks!
5:00 PM Feastival In The Park by Vernon Township
- Are you ready for some summer fun? We would like to personally invite you to Vernon Township’s Feastival in the Park on Friday, June 7th from 5pm to dusk. Located at Peterson Park (16652 N. Buffalo Grove Rd.) we will have food trucks, the Big Band Sound of Deerfield, and free swimming in our pool.Come out and enjoy the kickoff to summer with food, friends and community fun.
5:30 PM – First Friday Fun Night at KidStreet Play Center in Lisle
- 2 hours of FREE family fun!
- Although free, register in advance for this one!
6:00 PM – Daddy Daughter Codeathon at Codinu
- For girls aged 6 – 10 years old
- Girls connect with their fathers over a computer coding and robotics lesson. Enjoy food, music, and activities.
- Purchase tickets in advance
6:00 PM – Vintage Rides in Downtown Wheaton
- Enjoy music, food, and vintage cars.
- Fun for the whole family
7:00 PM – Outdoor Movie at Bloomingdale Bank and Trust
- Bring your blankets, lawn chairs and snacks for a night under the stars enjoying Hotel Transylvania 3.
- Inflatable moonwalk from 7 – 7:45
- Fun movie trivia and giveaways from 7:45 – 8
8:30 PM GLOW at Sky Zone Aurora
- Enjoy an after dark, black light experience.
- Prizes, giveaways, music, and more.
- Also Saturday from 8:30 – 11
8:30 PM – Ralph Breaks the Internet at Cantigny Park
- Bring your own lawn chairs, blankets, bug spray, and picnic.
8:30 PM – Naperville Park: Christopher Robin
8:30 PM – Village of Lake Zurich: Ralph Breaks The Internet in Paulus Park
7:00 AM – 31st Annual Fishing Derby at Lisle Community Park Ponds
- Ages 3- 14 with an adult
- Prizes will be awarded every hour of fishing for the largest catch in each of the 6 categories.
- Live bait worms will be served at the derby
- Register for this event.
9:00 AM – Safety Town Open Road at the Elmhurst Park District
- Children aged 4 – 7 are allowed to ride through Safety Town. Admission is free if you bring your own tricycle and helmet. Otherwise, $5
9:00 AM – Cook with the Kids Day at Entree Kitchen
- “Have your kids help you select your entrees from our April Menu, bring them along for meal assembly and let them have some fun in the kitchen. We provide the chef hat and apron along with breakfast treats and a cupcake or cookie to decorate as well!”
10:00 AM – Nickelodeon SLIMEFEST
- Probably the biggest thing happening this weekend for kids is Nickelodeon Slimefest. The festival begins at 10 AM both Saturday and Sunday and both days include an amazing line up of T-Pain, Pitbull, Bebe Rexha, and JoJo Siwa. Not to mention a host of slime related activities all day long!
10:00 AM – Hinsdale Fine Arts Festival in Burlington Park
- West Suburban Living’s “Best Summer Art Show.”
- Runs through Sunday
10:00 AM – Wells Street Art Festival
- Wells Street between North Ave. and Division in Chicago’s historic Old Town neighborhood.
- Don’t miss out on the kids activities
10:00 AM – Original Goat Yoga Experience in Galena at Silver Linings Farm.
- Also available 10 AM on Sunday
10:00 AM – 16th Annual Barn Owl Open House in Carol Stream
- “Join us for our annual open house! There will be live birds of prey from Flint Creek Wildlife Rehabilitation, special sales, hot dogs, activities for the kids and more!”
10:00 AM – Old Town Art Fair
- “In the heart of the charming Old Town Triangle Historic District. There will be 250 nationally acclaimed artists, an estimated 30,000 art lovers, a Garden Walk, Live Music, Food Court and Children’s Corner. Gates open Saturday 10:00 am to 7:00 pm and Sunday 10:00 am to 6:00 pm, rain or shine.”
10:30 AM – Discovery Garden – Exploration Time at the Oak Park Conservatory
- Hands on activities led by the garden docents in the Discovery Garden.
- Perfect for ages 3 – 6 years old.
11:00 AM – WTTW Kids Big Idea Show at Fox Valley Mall in Aurora.
- “Join us for an exciting 45-minute FREE live show, perfect for children 2 to 7 years old, bringing to life the fun and learning from WTTW Kids’ most popular and beloved children’s shows – PLUS, a special appearance by Clifford the Big Red Dog!”
- Level 1 near the fountain
11:00 AM – Sensory Friendly Screening of The Secret Life of Pets 2 at Hollywood Blvd Cinema
- “Special Screenings are designed for everyone that may have a different need while seeing a movie. Anything from a sensitivity to loud sounds, inability to sit still (Parents with toddlers you know we mean you) and everything in between. Lights will be on, sound softer and walking around will be welcomed in a safe judgement free zone. Help us spread the word, we would like to make this a regular occurrence. Tickets are $6 and Advance tickets are HIGHLY Recommended.”
11:00 AM – Kids Dad’s Day Drop-in Activity at Marcel’s Culinary Experience
- “We will be spicing up Dad’s day with a specialty espresso rub the kids will make on site and package in a sturdy, functional glass Weck jar with lid, along with the recipe for the rub. Kids can personalize a card to attach to the spice jar. Each assembled spice jar is $8 or 2 for $15. Be sure to drop in on the 8th and leave with a spice rub perfectly suited to get dad’s grilling juices going!”
11:00 AM – Kids Club: Magic Day at Golf Mill Shopping Center in Niles
- Magic, face painting, giveaways, and crafts
- FREE event
12:00 PM – Horsin Around: Mustang Appreciation Day at St. James Farm in Warrenville
- “Join the family-friendly “Horsin’ Around: Mustang Appreciation Day” on June 8 from noon – 4 p.m. at St. James Farm’s indoor riding arena, rain or shine. This fun-filled equine activity day includes children’s activities and up-close-and-personal opportunities to learn about the mustang. All ages. Free. No registration.”
12:00 PM – Pride Fest Mokena at Yunker Farm
12:00 PM – Pilsen Food Truck Social 2019 @ Thalia Hall
- Saturday and Sunday
1:00 PM – Family Day Workshop at Elmhurst Art Museum
- Make your own kaleidoscopes inspired by Lufterk’s current light and color exhibition.
- Free with museum admission
2:00 PM – Puppy Pool Party 2019 at Dog Patch Pet and Feed in Naperville
- “Hey everyone! We are throwing a puppy pool party this Saturday, June 8th, from 2-4pm! Come in with your pup 10 months old or less to have some summer fun! We will have pools set up in the yards for the pups to play in, and if you have an older dog or a dog who is not super social with others, do not fret! We will have a few pools available for leashed pups as well! Come on in and join us in the fun!!!FIRST 25 pups to join us get a free Pool Party Bandana!!!!”
2:00 PM – Pet Walk Festival at Hinsdale Humane Society
- “Enjoy family and pet-friendly fun, a short Pet Walk, local vendors, food options, dj, a kids corner, kids raffle, cash raffle, silent auction and more from 2-5. Then from 5-8 take in a live outdoor concert from The Millennials covering modern to classic rock (millennials.band). Food options available, lawn games, BYOBeverage, BYOBlankets or Chairs.”
2:00 PM – Pokemon Training & Playing at Learning Express Lake Zurich
- “Join our trainers for fun, tips and trades every Saturday from 2-3 pm in store. FREE. Bring your cards too.”
3:00 PM – Halau i Ka Pono – Hula Song & Dance Performance at Frank Lloyd Wright’s Unity Temple Restoration Foundation
- A celebration of Hawaiian history and culture in concert with Wright’s love of nature and music.
4:00 PM – BBQ Bash! at Parkview Plaza in Oakbrook Terrace
- “It’s time again for the best BBQ feast with fun for the whole family. At a new location this year: Terrace View Park in Oakbrook Terrace! Raffles, prizes, games, activities, beer, bags and more. Take-out available and vegetarian options. 100% of the proceeds help benefit NEDSRA and our year-round programs and services for individuals with disabilities.”
4:30 PM – Lake Zurich Culvers Car Cruise Season Opener !
6:00 PM – Tacos en la Playa at Phillips Park Family Aquatic Center in Aurora
- Taco bars, piñata, festive music
6:00 PM – Daddy Daughter Date Night at Color Me Mine (Naperville)
- “Daddy, come enjoy some special time with your daughter at Color Me Mine! Enjoy painting a gift for each other, or surprise someone else you love with a special masterpiece. Light refreshments will be provided!
A $15 deposit is required to reserve your spot, and will be credited toward your final purchase.”
7:00 PM – Wizards and Wonders at Blackberry Farm
- The farm will be transformed into an enchanted land of wizards, wands, and robes. Activities, snacks, crafts, and more!
- Age 1 and up must have a ticket
7:00 PM – Twilight Hike at Fullersburg Woods Nature Education Center in Oak Brook
- “Experience the transition from daylight to twilight, and learn how to use your senses like a nocturnal predator on a guided hike. Ages 12 and up; under 18 with an adult. $10 per person. Register online or at 630-850-8110.”
8:00 AM – Just for Kids Fishing Derby at Blackwell Forest Preserve
- “Bring the family to this friendly fishing competition just for kids 15 and younger with raffles and prizes for the biggest catches. Free. Register online, at the event, or at 630-933-7248.”
10:00 AM – Walk for the Animals Yo Ho Ho 2019 at Indian Boundary Park Cultural Center
- The event theme is pirates, with a special guest appearance from Captain Jack Sparrow.
- Bring the kids and the dogs!
10:00 AM – Eldridge Adventure Day hosted by Elmhurst Park District
- “Elmhurst Park District welcomes everyone to a day of outdoor fun and nature discovery, including bug hunts, a petting zoo, carnival games, fishing derby at the lagoon, food trucks, face painting and a balloon twister will make it an afternoon of fun for the whole family!Bug hunts are scheduled for 10:30am, 11:15am and Noon. The fishing contest will award prizes to kids 14 and under and is sponsored by Elmhurst Police Department. It will run from 10am-12:30 p.m. Those older than 14 are still welcome to fish and enjoy the lagoon!
- Scheduled food trucks include Mario’s Cart, Kona Ice and Smallcakes.”
11:00 AM – Slide Around The Promenade in Bolingbrook
- Try 6 sliders from different participating restaurants and then vote for your favorite.
11:00 AM – Candylicious Party with Minions at Kinderland Indoor Playground & Cafe in Algonquin
11:00 AM – Beadedpinktopia’s Summer Fun Craft & Vendor Show at Quarry Pub and Grill
- “FREE FAMILY EVENT
Join us for Beadedpinktopia’s Summer Fun Craft & Vendor Show
on Sunday June 9th from 11am-3pm at Quarry Pub and Grill in Lemont.First 50 people get a FREE grab bag!
- Feel free to eat and drink while you shop!”
12:00 PM – Boating in the Park at Lake Ellyn Park in Glen Ellyn
- “Kayaks, canoes, and a pedal boat available to rent from noon-4pm. Instructions are available on dry land before you venture out. Pack a picnic to enjoy by the shore and spend the afternoon enjoying the park. Rental fee: $5 per boat for 20 minutes. No pre-registration required.All ages welcome, however, each participant must be able to safely fit into a Glen Ellyn Park District life jacket.”
12:00 PM – Second Annual Pride Picnic and Puppies in Bolingbrook
- “Bolingbrook Pride is thrilled to present this family-friendly Celebration of Inclusiveness focusing on LGBTQ acceptance in the suburbs.
- We will have Food Trucks, Live Music, Vendors, Activities, and Fun for All Ages. Crowd-friendly Pets Welcome.”
12:00 PM – QuikToy – kids trade toys with other kids at River Woods Elementary School
- “Hi everyone! Calling all parents and caretakers in Naperville (and surrounding areas) to bring your kid(s) to the first-ever QuikToy TOY TRADING Meetup. Kids bring upto 10 (total) toys/books/games/sports gear to trade with other kids. Items must be in good condition (cleaned, etc). There will be free pizza and snacks available for everyone. No fees, tickets, or costs 🙂 Kids trade with other kids, network, and have fun!
- At the Riverwoods Elementary School in the gym. Open to everyone.”
12:00 PM- Aurora Pride Parade
1:00 PM – Father’s Day Craft Show in Lasalle
- Come find the perfect gift for the special dad in your life
1:00 PM – Hometown Picnic in Naperville
- “Pack up a picnic and lawn chairs and bring your family out for a lazy, Sunday afternoon complete with an old-fashioned baseball game, fun contests, and Touch-A-Truck vehicles!Enjoy reliving the past as we celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Naperville Heritage Society. The Chicago Salmon compete against the Lemont Quarrymen in a 19-century vintage baseball game at 1:30 PM.This program is free with paid admission to Naper Settlement!”
2:00 PM – Meet Jasmine and Moana at Learning Express Countryside
2:00 PM – Family Golf Day at Aldeen Golf Club
- “Rockford Park District invites families and the general public to enjoy a Family Golf Day, a FREE fun afternoon of golf, golf skill clinics and contests, games, and other golf-related activities at the Aldeen Practice Centre.There will be contests for chipping, putting, hit the junk car, and Golfzilla, with chances to win great prizes.Free clinics will be offered for putting at 2:30 PM, chipping at 3:15 PM, and full swing at 4:00 PM.”
2:30 PM – The Dog Paddle at Fever River Outfitters – Galena
- “A group paddle with your canine companion! Arrive at Fever River Outfitters at 527 S. Main St in Galena at 2:30pm to fill out waivers and then we will shuttle you and your dog to the launch site on Buckhill Rd.”
5:30 PM – Summer Concerts in the Park – Kettlestrings In Scoville Park, Oak Park.
- “Come enjoy FREE family-friendly music and entertainment in Scoville Park!”