https://whatshouldwedotodaychicago.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/What-Should-we-do-today-Chicago-desktop_03.png 0 0 Helen Bosacki https://whatshouldwedotodaychicago.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/What-Should-we-do-today-Chicago-desktop_03.png Helen Bosacki2019-05-23 07:28:512019-05-26 13:28:48What Should We Do This Weekend? Chicago, IL May 24-27, 2019 – Memorial Day Weekend
What Should We Do This Weekend? Chicago, IL May 24-27, 2019 – Memorial Day Weekend
Looking for things to do in the Chicagoland area this weekend and Memorial Day? Here are over 50 family-friendly events happening in downtown Chicago and the suburbs over Memorial Day Weekend!
Family Friendly Events in the Chicagoland area this weekend:
Brookfield Zoo Brick Safari
- Runs May 11th- September 29th on the East side of the zoo
- Experience more than 40 life size animal sculptures made entirely out of Lego’s!
- Admission is an additional 5$ for adults and $3 for children aged 3-11. (1/2 off if you are a member)
Nature Connects Art with Lego Bricks at the Morton Arboretum
- Available to experience now through September!
- More than half a million Lego bricks have been designed into nature inspired sculptures by the talented Sean Kenney.
- Find all 15 displays and don’t forget to say hi to the trolls as well!
- Exhibit is included with admission
9:00 AM Toddler Time at Sky Zone Aurora
- Enjoy the entire park with jumpers of the same size! For ages walking up to 5 years old.
9:30 AM Nature Play Days at Lincoln Marsh Natural Area in Wheaton
- For 18 months – 4 years of age
- Chapter 2 of this immersive art experience is finally here and it sounds like they have taken it to the next level. Don’t miss out on this cool experience!
- Tickets must be purchased in advance, they are not sold at the door.
- Arrive at your reservation time, and allow at least one hour to complete the experience.
- Friday hours: 12-8:30; Saturday hours: 10-6; Sunday 10-7:30; Monday hours: 12-8:30.
Dupage Childrens Museum Story Time and Music & Movement
- Story Time: 9:30, 11:30, and 2:30
- Music and Movement: 10:30 and 1:30
- The Downtown Wheaton Association is pleased to bring you Pistons & Pin Ups to ring in summer! Admire the new and improved Front Street as well as all the cars, food, and music!
- Check out the vintage cars starting at 6 p.m., and celebrate the rededication of Martin Memorial Plaza (on Front Street just west of Main Street) with a ribbon-cutting ceremony at 6:30 p.m.
- Free parking is available in the Wheaton Place Garage!
2019 Bolingbrook Memorial Day Carnival
- Friday, May 24th
- Hours of operation:
Friday from 6-10 pm
Saturday from 1-10 pm
Sunday from 1-10 pm
Monday from 1-5 pm
- Proceeds benefit the Bolingbrook Lions Club and the American Cancer Society
Lane Tech Memorial Day Carnival
- Begins Friday May 24th at 4 pm
- Saturday & Sunday: noon-10 pm
- Monday: noon-8 pm
- The Schaumburg Boomers bring you dinosaur themed fun and fireworks by Wintrust Community Banks
- 6:30 pm
Meet Pancake Pig!
- Meet Pancake Pig at 7 pm at the Barnes & Noble in Orland Park!
- Storytime, photos, cookies and cupcakes available for purchase to decorate.
- How thrilling that there is an event like this where the hours accommodate working parents!
- RSVP on the Facebook event page or by calling 708-226-4796
- Sky Zone Aurora (and other participating Sky Zone locations)
- Friday & Saturdays 8:30 – 11 pm
- 25$ for two hours of black light jumping
- Prizes, giveaways, music, face painting, and more!
Chicago Memorial Day Parade & Wreath Laying Ceremony
- Wreath laying ceremony begins at 11 a.m at Daley Plaza and the parade follows at noon proceeding south on State Street from Lake Street to Van Buren Street.
Chicago beaches are officially open!
- North Ave Beach
- Oak Street Beach
- 12th Street Beach
- Montrose Beach
- South Shore Beach
*My personal suggestion? Take the kids to Lincoln Park Zoo (free) and walk over to North Ave Beach with your beach gear for a relaxing and cheap celebration!*
Spring Planting and Blacksmith Demonstrations at Kline Creek Farm
- Watch the draft horses and see the kitchen garden prepped! Then head to the wagon shed to see the blacksmith demonstrate tools and techniques!
60th Anniversary Celebration at Santa’s Village Amusement Park all weekend
- Begins on Saturday at 11 a.m and lasts through Monday
Check out a Farmers Market!
- There are so many to choose from and they last all summer long! We’ve got a comprehensive list for you right here!
Touch A Truck at Randall Oaks Zoo
- 9 am – 5 pm
- Regular zoo admission applies
- There will also be face painting, a bounce house, and hay rides!
Fitness at Lincoln Park Zoo
- This guide is not just for families with young children! Grab your tweens, teens, adult children, etc and head to Vinyasa Yoga on the Nature Boardwalk at Lincoln Park Zoo!
- Saturdays and Sundays 9-10 a.m
- Guests must bring their own mats and water bottles
- Register through link!
Three Oaks Recreation Area Swim Beach
- Officially open for the summer at 10 a.m!
Prairie Arts Festival
- Saturday & Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m
- Free admission
- Schaumburg, IL
Barrington Arts Festival
- Saturday & Sunday beginning at 10 a.m
- Free admission & parking
St. Charles Fine Art Festival & Paint The Pavement Chalk Art Festival
- Saturday and Sunday beginning at 10 a.m.
- Free admission and parking
- Walk across the river to 1st street for the chalk art festival!
Belmont-Sheffield Music Festival
- Saturday and Sunday 11 a.m – 10 p.m
Opening Day Of Otter Cove Aquatic Park in St. Charles
- St. Charles
- Opens at 11:30 am
Grand Re-opening of Funway’s Backyard
- Batavia, IL
- New additions include: 8,000 sq.ft. building addition, more parking, high performance go-kart track, 18-hole miniature golf course including a full nine ADA holes, and additional updates throughout the family entertainment center.
- *First 60 customers get their first round of golf FREE!
- **First 100 customers at 12p until 2p to purchase a $20 play card get an additional $10 FREE AND a FREE lunch from the grill (hot dog, chips, and a small drink)!
Lincoln Park Memorial Weekend Family Festival
- Saturday – Sunday 12-9pm
- Across from Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum
Meet Peppa Pig
- Learning Express Toys in Glenview from 12-1pm
- Learning Express Toys in Naperville from 2-3 pm
LOL Surprise at Little Beans Café in Evanston
- Curious QT, pizza, a duplicate toy trade, purse decorating, treats, games and play from 12:30-2:30!
- Registration is required
Visit with Princess Aurora in Geneva
- 2p.m: Decorate a glittery tiara with Princess Aurora at It’s A Girl Thing in Geneva, IL
- $25 per child (prepay required)
Call 630-234-2000 to reserve your spot!
Launch Party: Maybe I Can Love My Neighbor Too
- 3:30 – 5 at Prairie Path Books in Town Square Wheaton
- Join author Jennifer Grant for the official launch of “Maybe I Can Love My Neighbor Too,” the follow up picture book to her award-winning “Maybe God Is Like That Too.”
Navy Pier Fireworks Return!
- Free fireworks perfectly synchronized to music on Lake Michigan.
- Navy Pier’s Aon Summer Fireworks occur on Wednesdays and Saturdays throughout the summer, from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
The Science Behind Pixar: Museum of Science and Industry
- Get a unique look into the Pixar process, and explore the science and technology behind these beloved animated films and their characters.
Spring Planting at Kline Creek Farm
- 1:30 – 3:30
- Watch the draft horses plow and harrow the fields to ready them for planting!
Rosie and the Rivets at Cantigny Park
- 3-5 p.m
- Concert free, parking 10$
- Bring lawn chairs, blankets, and a picnic!
Old School Love, New School Flavor Car Show
- The Biggest Nostalgic Import Car Show!
- Busse Woods, Elk Grove Village
- 9 a.m – 7 p.m
Sensory Hour at SkyZone Aurora
- 9 a.m.
- Quieter, toned down jumping experience for those with special needs
Bricks & Minifigs One Year Anniversary Celebration
- Wheaton, IL
- 10 a.m – 5 p.m
- A scavenger hunt will be going on all day! People who successfully find all the items will be entered into a raffle to win the UCS Castle !
- Also, a mystery custom item will be revealed
Pop-Up STEAM Play at Dupage Childrens Museum
- Naperville, IL
Meet Catboy at Learning Express of Countryside
- Sunday 2-3 pm
- Countryside, IL
Mistwood Golf Club Memorial Day Fireworks
- Romeoville, IL
- Bounce houses, face painting, cornhole bags, live music, food, and more! With fireworks to cap off the night!
We’ve got a whole compilation of Memorial Day parades and ceremonies in the Chicagoland area! –> Memorial Day Parades
Memorial Day Remembered: Kline Creek Farm
- Observe Memorial Day with a ceremony rooted in the history and traditions of the late 1800s, when the holiday was known as “Decoration Day.”
- 1:30 – 3:30
Memorial Day at Cantigny
- 11 – 5 p.m
- Free with paid parking
- Remember those who served and sacrificed everything for our nation. With special guests from the U.S. Army.
Memorial Day Craft: Learning Express Countryside
- Create a fun, Memorial Day wreath!
- 11:30 -12:30
Mariano’s Westchester: Miss Jamie’s Farm
- Westchester, IL
- 3 – 3:30 p.m
- Free, 30 min show that meets in the cafe
$1 Classic Movie Monday: The Little Mermaid
- Aurora, IL at the Paramount Theatre
- Doors open at 6:15 pm, movie begins at 7
- $1 cash but cards are accepted for concessions
- Play from 8 am – 5 pm
- 11 AM to noon
- Bring a yoga mat and a friend!
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!