What Should We Do This Weekend? Chicago, IL September 20th – 22nd, 2019
Looking for things to do in Chicagoland this weekend?
Here are over 50 family-friendly events happening in Chicago, and the suburbs this weekend!
Family Friendly Events in Chicagoland This Weekend:
Major ongoing events this weekend:
- September 13th – 29th
- Chicago Cultural Center: 78 E. Washington St.
- Enjoy the music city wide at multiple locations, check the full event schedule for more details!
Lego Ninjago Days at Legoland Discovery Center
- August 3rd – September 30th
- “Calling all ninjas in training: Master Wu is ready to challenge you with an EPIC mission! LEGO NINJAGO® has been summoned to LEGOLAND® Discovery Center Chicago! Unleash your Ninja building powers to complete Master Wu’s challenges with exclusive building activities, mega mini movie creations and practicing your ninja moves with your favorite NINJAGO characters to become a ‘Master of Spinjitzu’! Are you pumped for the challenge?”
Bixbee Imagination Station Pop-UP
- Mon to Thur, Sat & Sun (10am – 5pm), Fri (10am – 7pm)
- Tickets: Adult $23, Kid (3-11 years old) $15, Children 2 and under are FREE
- “Come discover a world every kid (and kid-at-heart) wished truly existed. Enter an un-charted playground where you can ride a polka-dotted elephant and spot cheeky, technicolor monkeys. Ignite a brilliant light show with just the beat of a drum. Ride a mythical unicorn blazing across a disco rainbow sky. See human connectivity come to life like an electric spirograph. Share secrets with your bestie via flower blossoms. Explore outer space with a surfing, taco loving dinosaur, and take a selfie inside a ferociously, friendly shark!”
- In Chicago through September only!
- 915 W. North Ave.
Worlds Largest Corn Maze now open at Richardson Farm
- September 7th – November 3rd; Thursday – Sunday
- “The Richardson Farm offers a huge variety of on-farm experiences: Our activities include a 700 foot long zip line, Orbiting, and the “world’s largest”, most intricately designed corn maze along with activities for all ages.”
- The maze is Apollo themed this year!
Keller’s Farmstand Fall Festivities
- “Looking for family fun and creating new fall traditions? Our Saturday & Sunday Fall Festivities include a 10-acre Alice in Wonderland themed corn maze (including 3 observation decks), wagon rides, farm animals, pedal tractors, grain tables, kids play area with pirate ship, castle, and more! Want to pick apples? Buy an apple bag in our apple barn and head to the orchard! Pick a pumpkin off the vine in our large pumpkin patch or choose one from our pre-picked patch. Don’t leave without trying our delicious, homemade APPLE CIDER DONUTS, fudge, and kettle corn. They’re hard to resist! Our concession stand serves hot dogs, brats, hot pretzels, and other treats. There’s lots to experience here at the Keller Farm in Oswego!”
Fall Festival at Randall Oaks Zoo (Sept 21 – Oct 27th)
- “Let us help you with that fall activity checklist all season long! Come enjoy our Fall Festival at Randall Oaks Zoo! The zoo will be decked out in fall decorations, and there will be several fall activities around the zoo. It’s the perfect way to celebrate a fall day! Don’t forget to purchase your pumpkin during your visit. Regular admission applies.”
- Fall Festival | Sept. 21-Oct. 27 | 9:00 am-5:00 pm
Didier Farms Pumpkinfest (Sept 21st – Oct 31st)
- Celebrate Fall with us! Hayrides, corn maze, kiddie rides, pumpkins, and so much more!
16679 W. Aptakisic Rd.
Lincolnshire, IL 60069
Stade’s Farm Festival – Farmtractions Theme Park
- “We have eight farmtastic weekends of fun planned for you, your family, and your friends! Join us Saturdays and Sundays only (our Market is open every day) during September, and Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays in October.
- During the Fall Festival at Stade’s, you can also; pick fresh apples, take a hayride to the pumpkin patch and choose the perfect pumpkin, enjoy a bonfire/hayride private party, (previously set by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org) shop in our Market, enjoy delicious seasonal foods and our famous Apple Cider Donuts!”
- McHenry, IL
- Lakeshore Park: 808 N. Lake Shore Drive
- Friday, September 20 at 7pm
Saturday, September 21 at 2pm and 5pm
Sunday, September 22 at 2pm and 5pm
- “Midnight Circus in the Parks is an eclectic ensemble of artists with a shared vision that live performance has the power to engage and inspire our audience, our community, and our world. We bring world‐class contemporary circus performances to communities throughout Chicago and raise money for Chicago parks with the proceeds.”
- Saturday, September 21 – Sunday, September 22: 11 am – 10 pm
- On Southport between Addison and Roscoe
- “The glorious taco is again in the spotlight as the tortilla-wrapped fave is celebrated at this annual food and music happening. Back for its seventh flavor-filled year in 2019, it’s also a celebration of seasonal beers as well as the start of autumn. The fest also features special beer and taco pairings, two music stages, crowd-pleasing Mexican wrestlers, activities for kids, and visitors can text vote for Chicago’s ‘Best Taco.'”
- NewCity: 1457 N. Halsted St.
- Friday 09/20 03:00 PM – 08:00 PM
Saturday 09/21 11:00 AM – 08:00 PM
Sunday 09/22 11:00 AM – 05:00 PM
- “Enjoy the kickoff of our annual Japanese summer festival in the heart of Chicago where you can experience authentic Japanese festival foods, cultural performances of Taiko drumming, Shodo/large scale calligraphy, Traditional Martial Arts, Sumi-e ink painting, Cosplay Contests and so much more! Interactive Japanese cultural booths will be throughout the festival featuring origami, games, arts, fashion, handwritten calligraphy requests, photo booths, and beyond!”
Celebrate the Friends 25th Anniversary in Chicago!
- The iconic couch will be arriving at Maggie Daley Park on September 21st, and the Willis Tower Observation Deck, Sept 20th – 22nd
- 12 top episodes will be playing at theatres across the Chicagoland area on Sept 23rd. Look for your participating theatre here.
Palos Park’s Autumn In The Park Festival
- Friday, September 20/ 6:00 p.m – 11:00 p.m
Saturday, September 21/ 11:30 a.m – 11:00 p.m
- 8901 W. 123rd Street, Palos Park
- 11:00 a.m. – Parade Along 123rd Street, 82nd Avenue to 90th Avenue
- Join us for live music, food, beer, wine, & spirits at our annual Autumn In The Park Festival!
- September 20th – 22nd
- Downtown Long Grove – Stempel Parking Lot, 308 Old McHenry Rd, Long Grove
- Friday, September 20: 12pm- 11pm
Saturday, September 21: 10am – 11pm
Sunday, September 22: 10am – 6pm
- “For the 2019 edition, Apple Fest finds itself in a spacious new location smack center in town for its famous mix of high energy fall fun and apple-inspired eats. This signature Long Grove festival includes lots of apple delicacies, everything from fresh apple cider donuts to green apple cotton candy, live music on two stages, and the Kids Zone providing classic entertainment choices like apple pie-eating contests and timeless games.”
- September 20 & 21; Friday 4-10pm & Saturday Noon-10pm
- Marion St. and North Boulevard in Downtown Oak Park
- “Celebrate the changing seasons at Oaktoberfest in Downtown Oak Park. Enjoy a premier music line up, delicious fall foods from local restaurants, specialty craft beers, and a Kids’ Root Beer Garden. The Kids’ Root Beer Garden from 12-5PM Saturday on Marion Street offers kids the chance to participate in artistic, educational and hands-on activities.The Root Beer Garden features zucchini races, ninja obstacle course, root beer floats, games and activities sponsored by local organizations!”
Fall On The Farm at Lambs Farm
- September 21st – 22nd
- “This family-friendly event has something for everyone. Guests can explore the Farmyard & Attractions, partake in crafts, browse the Community Tent Sale, go for a spin in the barrel train ride (courtesy of Lake County Farm Heritage Association) and enjoy food, music and entertainment.
We will have also plenty of fun fall activities including Decorate a Cookie, Craft Kits, Activity Sheets, Bounce House, Touch a Tractor, Cow Milking Game, Pumpkin Painting, Sand Art, Eye Ball Bounce Game, Poop Shoot, Pumpkin Bowling, Face Painting & Tattoos!”
- SATURDAY, SEPT. 21st (10am – 6pm) & SUNDAY, SEPT. 22nd (10am – 5pm)
- Odyssey Fun Farm in Tinley Park
- “The Midwest Wizard of Oz Festival has been a long standing tradition that originated in Chesterton, Indiana. The festival began in 1982 when Wizard of Oz store owner, Jean Nelson, came up with the idea to create an Oz-themed festival to pick up the spirits of Chesterton’s citizens. Since then it has grown to be one of the biggest festivals in the nation that produced crowds of about 30,000 people each year. This year, for the first time ever, the Midwest Wizard of Oz Festival has been moved to the Chicago land area in Tinley Park, Illinois.”
- 10 am – 3 pm
- The Morton Arboretum
- “Join us for a trip around Europe with our Passport Europe Festival on Saturday and Sunday, September 21 and 22, 2019. Treat your senses to live music ranging from Spanish flamenco to Polish polkas and Italian jazz! Marvel at dances from Ireland, Germany, and Greece and more. Try your hand at hurling, an Irish sport. Enjoy authentic European cuisine. And take a hike to explore our European tree and plant collections.”
Arboretum of South Barrington Art Festival
- Saturday & Sunday; 10 am – 5 pm
- Right in front of the movie theatre
- “Live music and great food add to the experience of this outdoor festival. Fun art activities for kids make Arboretum Art Festival a destination for art enthusiasts of all ages!”
Andersonville Arts Week + Fest
- September 19th – 22nd
- “There’s something special to see or experience for everyone at Andersonville Arts Week + Fest! On the Self-Guided Art Walk, explore the neighborhood’s unique shops and restaurants and see how they have transformed into galleries. Bring a group of friends to the Night of 100 Parties on Friday, September 20 and be sure to check in at the Andersonville Chamber of Commerce / Arts Week Headquarters tent to pick up a FREE pedicab ride around the district! Then, join us on the weekend for the first Andersonville Arts Fest on Clark Street between Winona and Argyle Streets produced by Amdur Productions. Whatever art brings you here, we hope you are inspired to visit Andersonville time and time again.”
- Friday, Sept. 20: 5pm – 11pm
Saturday, Sept. 21 10am – 11pm
Sunday, Sept. 22: 11am – 7pm
- Deicke Park and Huntley Park District complex
- “The 2019 Huntley Fall Fest features three days of entertainment, a beer garden, food vendors, a full carnival midway, plenty of fall activities, and a spectacular fireworks display on Saturday night! It’s the can’t miss event of the year!”
End of Summer Carnival Bolingbrook
- Bolingbrook Village Hall: 375 W. Briarcliff Rd
- Friday: 6pm-10pm
- Friday: 6 pm – 11pm
- Saturday: 3 pm – 11pm
- “Enjoy traditional German food, games and activities, and music at the 4th Annual Elk Grove Village Oktoberfest! This year’s Saturday Oktoberfest Celebration will commence directly after the Hometown Parade. Featured children’s games and activities from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. will include inflatables, bushel basket toss game, a balloon artist, a glitter-tattoo artist, face painting, a relay race, and a Pumpkin pass contest.”
Naperville Riverwalk Fine Art Fair
- Sat & Sun 10 am – 5 pm
- “The Riverwalk Fine Art Fair is held on Main Street and Jackson Avenue in downtown Naperville, along the Riverwalk, in the center of a sophisticated, art conscious community. The public is invited to experience an explosion of artwork from some of the country’s best artists.”
9:00 AM: Adler Planetarium Free Day
- “Countless galaxies, unfathomable distances, exploding stars, diamond planets, black holes, there’s no way around it, space is freaking awesome! Come learn more at the Adler Planetarium during our Illinois Resident Discount Days—where Illinois residents receive FREE Musem Entry to the museum. Museum Entry provides access to all exhibitions and experiences (excluding the historic Atwood Sphere Experience and sky shows.*)”
11:00 AM: Acorn Express Adventure
- “Join us on the Acorn Express tram for a family friendly tram-ride adventure through the Arboretum! We’ll seek out fun destinations to hike, make a craft, and explore new topics each week.”
3:30 PM: End of Summer at Centennial Plaza Addison
- 3:30 pm – 6:30 pm
- “Tons of fun activities for families and children as well as giveaways!”
5:00 PM: Norwood Park Fall Fest
- 6008 N. Northwest Highway
- “On September 20th from 5pm-10pm & 21st 12pm to 10pm, the Norwood Park Chamber of Commerce welcomes families to their largest fundraising event, Fall Fest, for a weekend of delicious food, live entertainment, fun activities, and local business shopping. Food trucks from the Chicagoland area and quality beer are staples. There are at least 35 merchandise booths offering both local goods and services, and a children’s area with inflatable bounce houses and slides, performances, an Facepainting, live entertainment, games, and activities.”
6:30 PM: Family Yoga
- Dupage Children’s Museum
- “Family Yoga brings mindfulness to the Museum engaging children (and their adults) in joyful movement that supports social & emotional skills. Stretch body AND mind with a trip to DCM! This drop-in program is led by Tiffany King, certified yoga instructor.”
6:30 PM: Family Karaoke Bonfire
- Pav YMCA: 2947 S. Oak Park Ave., Berwyn
- “Join us around a bonfire while we sing and eat some s’mores!
Bring the whole family and have some fun!”
7:00 PM: Folk Songs & S’mores Campfire
- Emily Oaks Nature Center, Skokie
- “Join us for an evening of singing, clapping and strumming around the campfire! Follow along on song sheets as we sing lively and traditional folk songs and then make s’mores. Rain date: Saturday, 9/21.”
- Preregistration requested but gate registration possible if event isn’t full.
9:00 AM: Brookfield Fine Arts Festival
- Brookfield Kiwanis Park
- 9 am – 4 pm
- “The Brookfield Fine Arts Festival is an annual art show featuring painting, photography, sculpture, fiber arts, crafts, jewelry, live music and more.”
9:30 AM: Touch A Truck – Skokie
- Oakton Community Center Parking Lot: 4701 Oakton St.
- “This is your chance to see the big rigs up close! Featuring many different trucks from the community, including our very own Skokie Park District. All children must be accompanied by an adult. In the case of inclement weather, the event will be cancelled.”
10:00 AM: September Play Day at Sensory Garden Playground
- “We had so much fun at our summer Play Days, we couldn’t resist having one more! Stop by for face painting, free play, games, a training session by Canine Companions for Independence from 10-11A and goody bags for the first 100 families by Kidlist.”
- 2751 Navistar Drive, Lisle
10:00 AM: Konow’s Corn Maze Fall Fest / Opening Day
- 16849 Cedar Road, Homer Glen
- “Join us for a day on the farm as we kick off the Fall season at Konow’s Corn Maze! Featuring food, games, and fun, and a performance by June’s Got the Cash- A Musical Tribute to Johnny Cash & June Carter!”
10:00 AM & 12:30 PM: Justin Roberts & the Not Ready for Naptime Players
- “Roberts’ concert “BE YOUR OWN BAND” will show kids how to make their own music and showcase his own compositions that “see the world through a child’s eyes.” Join us for some unexpectedly intelligent and whimsically rocking music for kids! The 60-minute concert will include an ample serving of Roberts’s fun, interactive, and highly sophisticated songs, performed with his five-piece band accompanying him on bass, drums, electric guitar, trumpet, melodica, keyboard, acoustic guitar, ukulele, harmonica and more.”
10:00 AM & 10:45 AM: Evan And Vanessa at Dupage Childrens Museum
- 301 N Washington Street, Naperville
- “Evan and Vanessa will bring their bilingual, interactive music performance to DCM. Evan and Vanessa are a bilingual Louisville based children’s band with a background in Montessori education methods, and were recently named one of the “Best New Latin Kid’s Music Groups” by Billboard.com!”
11:00 AM: Autumn Fair at Peck Farm Park
- Peck Farm Park, 4038 Kaneville Road Geneva
- 11 am – 3 pm
- “Join us at Peck Farm Park to celebrate autumn with pony rides, a petting zoo, hayrides, crafts, games, a birds of prey presentation, and more!
Climb to the top of the silo and enjoy the view across the prairie, play at Hawks Hollow Nature Playground, visit the Butterfly House, and test your luck at winning a variety of prizes in the Basket Raffle.
Proceeds benefit the special projects of the Geneva Park District Foundation.
Admission to Autumn Fair is FREE, however some activities require a small fee.”
11:00 AM: YAS! Fest – Youth Arts Showcase
- Millenium Park
- 11 am – 6 pm
- “Explore youth arts programs from across the city and enjoy a showcase of hundreds of outstanding young Chicago artists. YAS! Fest — the Youth Arts Showcase — is Chicago’s largest celebration of young artists and youth arts organizations, featuring the creative work of musicians, actors and dancers, artists and more throughout Millennium Park.“
11:00 AM: Anderson’s Pets-a-Palooza Festival
- FREE FESTIVAL
FOCUSED ON FURRY FRIENDS
AND ALL THINGS FUN
FOR THE PEOPLE WHO LOVE THEM!
- What to expect:
– Stunt dog show performed by the Canine Stars!! Three performances (11:30a/1:30p/3:30p) complete with a 20′ x 40′ ball pit for tricks!- Food trucks offering foods that will tantalize your tastebuds!
– Pet Adoption Tent, Doggy Diner, Dog Lure Course, Kid Zone, 100+ Vendors for pets and their people, and so much more!!!
– Pet Contests that include Best Dog Trick and Best Pet Costume!!
11:00 AM: Moms4Moms Vendor Fair
- Spring Lake Park, Aurora
- “Join us for another Moms4Moms vendor Fair Saturday September 21st from 11-3. Browse booths from local women owned small businesses. Shop til you drop while sampling edibles and visiting the entertainment vendor booths. There will be a playground and kids craft tent available!”
12:00 PM: Highland Park Oktoberfest
- Noon – 10 pm
- 2nd Street from Beelow’s to Central
- “Join us for our 1st Annual Oktoberfest in Highland Park. Help us ring in autumn and celebrate fall. This year’s event will take place on 2nd Street from Beelow’s to Central. The weekend excitement to include beer, specialty Oktoberfest cocktails, brats, pretzels and great music acts on our stage along with activities for youngsters and families.”
12:00 PM: Horsin Around: Fall Colors
- Danada Equestrian Center
- “Join the family-friendly “Horsin’ Around: Fall Colors” on Saturday, Sept. 21 from noon – 4 p.m. at Danada Equestrian Center. This fun-filled equine activity day includes children’s activities and up-close-and-personal opportunities to learn about our horses. All ages. Free. No registration.”
12:00 PM: Harvest Day at Garfield Park Conservatory
- “Come and meet urban goats, chickens, and bees. Play veggie bingo, lawn games, and taste fresh local foods. Learn about worm bin composting from our Urban Roots students. Bring the whole family and join us at the Garfield Park Conservatory for our 7th annual celebration of urban agriculture. New this year, we will have live music from Dan Whitaker and The Shinebenders.”
12:00 PM: Beverly Art Walk
- 12 – 6 pm
- Take either of the two trollies through the Beverly / Morgan Park neighborhood to view work by 150+ artists across 40 venues.
- “The Beverly Art Walk is a free, family-friendly festival of art, music, and community. Start your self-guided tour at any participating venue – walk, bike, or park and jump on a free trolley. Experience work by more than 150 juried artists in 50+ local businesses, organizations, and vacant storefronts across Beverly/Morgan Park-from 95th to 111th Streets, Walden Parkway to Western Avenue-the Uprising Craft Market, as well as live music, interactive art activities for children, and local food and libations.”
1:00 PM: L.L. Bean Day at Emily Oaks Nature Center
- Stop by any time between 1-4 pm
- “L.L.Bean staff will be featuring: nordic walking, compass skills, sea kayaking, backpacking, knot tying, giveaways and a raffle at this FREE event for all ages.”
3:00 PM: Lake Forest Fall Festival
- 220 E. Deerpath Rd
- “Join us as we kick off the season at Fall Festival in downtown Lake Forest with great local bands, beer, food, and fun for all ages! Kids activities including a giant bounce house, arcade games, and more.”
6:00 PM: The Moonlight Parade
- 7 – 9 pm
- Cloud Gate (aka The Bean)
“As the audience gathers in preparation for the Moonlight Parade fire spectacle, the Full Moon Jam Foundation will be holding open community poi and hoop workshops. These are non-fire, all-ages, beginner workshops led by seasoned Full Moon Jam performers and teachers. All comers are welcome to dance and try out non-fire movement props, as an introduction to the wonderful world of dance and flow. Join us for community flow arts dance workshops held at the Bean from 6:00 – 6:45 PM. The Moonlight Parade fire spectacle will be presented from 7:00 – 9:00 PM. Participants are invited to bring drums and glow props, but we ask that you do not play them until the intermission and after the conclusion of the choreographed performances during the Parade.”
6:00 PM: Movie on the Green: Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
- Sugar Creek Golf Course, Villa Park
- “A free showing of Ferris Bueller’s Day Off will take place on the driving range. Drinks, free popcorn and food trucks, including Mario’s Cart, CheSa’s Gluten Tootin Free Gourmet Food Truck and Ms. Tittle’s Cupcakes will be there, so bring your appetite, along with your blanket or lawn chair!”
7:00 PM: End of Summer S’more-gasbord
- Fullersburg Woods Nature Education Center, Oak Brook
- “Mark the end of the season on a self-guided walk through the woods. Then, stop by the campfire and try one of our gourmet s’more recipes — or create your own! All ages; under 18 with an adult. $5 per person. Register online or at 630-850-8110.”
10:00 AM: A Mini Fest at Bang Bang Pie & Biscuits
- “The purpose of “a mini fest” is to scale down the craziness of a street fest, for the smaller audience of families with kids, bring our community together while helping those in need. Kiddos will be busy working on crafts and projects while parents hang, shop, eat pie, drink coffee, smell the flowers… $3 suggested donation goes towards KIND, protecting children alone while working toward a world in which children’s rights and well-being are protected as they migrate alone in search of safety.”
- 2051 N Cali Ave
- 10 am – 2 pm
12:00 PM: Two Brothers Oktoberfest
- Two Brothers Roundhouse, Aurora
- “We will have all your favorites back this year: the live German Oompah music, authentic German food, stein holding competitions, lederhosen/dirndl contests and, lots and lots of Two Brothers beer! And yeah, it’s still family-friendly and totally free to attend. “Prost!
12:00 PM: Family Fun Fest
- Joliet Route 66 Stadium
- “Plan on spending the day at Family Fun Fest on Sunday, September 22nd 2019. Enjoy a variety of fun, family-based activities, and learn about local community resources. Children under the age 15 are free! All others only $2. Local Entertainment, Games, Food, Music, Bounce Houses, Medieval Sword Fighting, Home Depot Workshop, Facepainting, Costume Characters, Touch-A-Truck, Baseball, Basketball, Golf, Community Booths, Child Fingerprinting & ID, Raffles and more! Free Admission for children 15 and under. $2 admission for all others. All children must be accompanied by an adult. Chips, Hot Dog, and Drink additional $2”
2:00 PM: Taste of Clark Street
- 2 – 6 pm
- Clark Street in Rogers Park
- “We are celebrating Clark Street and the delicious restaurants that we have sprinkled throughout. Join us for an afternoon of food, music, booze tastings and fun activities.
Local restaurants will be featuring samples of their signature dishes while you stroll Clark St. and get to know the community. Stop at Rogers Park Fine Wine & Spirits and Supermercado Roman for beer, wine, tequila and whiskey samples and hang out at our “HUB” on Morse Ave. and Clark St. where we will have, seating, live music, activities and more food. Pedicabs will be available to ride from the “HUB” to Devon Ave. or Touhy Ave. so you can get to the participating businesses faster!”
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!