Looking for things to do in Chicagoland this weekend?
Here are over 20 family-friendly events happening in Chicago, and the suburbs this weekend!
Family Friendly Events in Chicago, IL This Weekend:
Major ongoing events this weekend:
- Wednesday, September 4th – Sunday, September 8th: Opens at 8 am each day
- 15730 Pratt Road, Sandwich IL
- Two mother / baby tents are centrally located for moms, nursing moms, and young families.
- “The grounds are unusually beautiful with many old trees lining the walkways. It has a country/community feel with decorations, and the buildings are historic and attractive. It has the charm of a smaller fair, but also has much of what a large fair has to offer. The biggest difference is the focus on agriculture. For families and kids, the visit can be a great experience (up close and personal) to learn about and, most importantly, experience this important part of our culture. Visiting during the week is peaceful and great for strolling. You will notice how most everyone is grinning from ear to ear! Hope to see you there.”
- September 6th; 5-11pm
- September 7th; Noon – 11 pm
- September 8th; Noon – 10 pm
- The Steuben parade begins at 2 pm on Saturday starting at 4000 N. Lincoln Ave.
- “Try authentic German food and traditional drinks. Dance to the music of German bands and spend the evening with friends and enjoy a fabulous festival.”
- Friday, September 6th: 5:00pm to 10:00pm
Saturday, September 7th: 1:00pm to 10:00pm
Sunday, September 8th: 1:00pm to 6:00pm
- 18001 S. 80th Ave, Tinley Park
- “It is one of the only festivals in the Chicagoland area that most resembles the traditional Oktoberfest held in Munich, Bavaria, Germany. Bring out the Lederhosen, pick up a traditional German Stein when you arrive, and celebrate a classic tradition with us as we welcome Autumn.”
- At this year’s Oktoberfest you can expect:
- Authentic German Food + MORE food vendors!
- Traditional Oom-Pah and Polka Musicians + some of your favorite classics
- Ceremonial Keg Tapping to Kick-Off the Event
- Oktoberfest Beers from Tinley Park Brewers and one of Germany’s featured Oktoberfest Brewers, Paulaner
- September 6th – 8th
- 3rd Street, Geneva
- “Geneva’s Festival of the Vine provides plenty of good wine, good food and good fun for the whole family! Taste wines from around the world. Sample mouth-watering specialties at our Flavor Fare. Find unique gifts at our incredible Fine Arts and Crafts show. The 2019 Festival of the Vine is a great fall getaway. We hope you can make it!”
- Saturday & Sunday beginning at 10 am
- “Main Street from Maple to Curtiss will be home to a variety of fine art. Nearly 50 artists will travel from across the country with art ranging in prices from $25 to more than $4,000.
- Enjoy live entertainment and a kids’ art booth while you are perusing the display of a variety of mediums including, jewelry, paintings (watercolors, oils, acrylics), photography, wood work, jewelry, copper, paper, mixed media, drawing, fiber, ceramics, glass & graphics.”
- September 7th & 8th; 11 am – 7 pm
- Division St in Wicker Park
- “Join us for a sprawling marketplace of the best makers and designers, hands on workshops, art installations, food trucks, live DJ sets, drinks, and more!”
- The 2019 Elgin Fringe Festival runs from 6-9 p.m. Friday; 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday; noon to 4 p.m. Sunday; 5:30-7:30 p.m. Sept. 10; 2-10:30 p.m. Sept. 12; 2-11 p.m. Sept. 13; noon to 11 p.m. Sept. 14; and noon to 6 p.m. Sept. 15.
- “Fringe Festivals focus on performing arts but also include film, visual arts, and music. Performances take place in downtown areas in cafes, theaters, storefronts, and a variety of other locations.”
- There will be a family day 11 – 3 pm on Saturday, Family Fringe.
- Saturday Sept 7th 9AM-6PM
- Sunday Sept 8th 9AM-6PM
- Busse Lake Boating Center, E Higgins Rd. Elk Grove Village
- Come experience the Guinness Book of World Records’ largest bounce house! Slides, ball pits, climbing walls, music, and more!
- Saturday: 11AM-10:30PM; Sunday: 11AM-9PM
- 6030 N. Milwaukee Ave, Chicago
- “Get ready to shimmy. Or bop. Or shake. Or simply boogie down to the retro beats at the fourth annual Throwback Music Fest that will again be taking it to the streets of Chicago’s northwest side Gladstone Park neighborhood. Featuring a groovy roster of acts playing tunes from the ’50s through the ’80s, there’s guaranteed to be memories for every generation. And to top off the weekend festivities there’s also a Saturday morning pet parade and, on Sunday, a vintage car display and a fun Miss Throwback Contest. Beyond tunes the fest also features plenty of great food, arts/crafts, and activities for kids and families.”
- September 6th – 8th
- Saturday, 2- 11pm, Sunday; 2-9 pm
- DuPage County Fairgrounds
- Bazaar, carnival, food, music, fireworks, and more!
- Saturday, September 7th; 11 am – midnight
- Sunday, September 8th; 11 am – 8:30 pm
- 95th & Cook Ave, Oak Lawn
- This family friendly festival will be filled with live entertainment, a food tent, and activities that include inflatables, a climbing wall, eurobungy, and DJ/Karaoke.
7:00 AM: Tails on the Trails
- 7 am – Sunset: Dogs allowed on the grounds
10 am – 4 pm: Vendor expo and activities
$5 admission fee per dog
- “Enjoy a “paw”fect day out with your pup, meandering down the Arboretum’s 16 miles of hiking trails. You can also shop from local businesses and organizations in the pet expo, watch special demonstrations, and meet dogs available for adoption and inquire about volunteering with local pet shelters. Sign your pooch up for some doggy games, including the crowd-favorite peanut butter licking contest!”
- “Dogs must be attended and on a leash at all times.
All dogs must have updated vaccinations and registrations.”
9:00 AM: Touch – A – Truck Elmhurst
- Berens Park
- “Elmhurst Park District invites you to bring the kids to Berens Park to touch, feel, and climb through a variety of trucks and vehicles, including fire trucks, tow trucks and more! Come hungry, the following food trucks will be on site: BabyQ’s BBQ, Barbeque Jim’s, Mario’s Cart, Smallcakes, Starbucks (free coffee while supplies last), Sugar Mama’s Mini Donuts and Windy City Ice Cream.”
9:00 AM: Mutt Strut 5K Run/Walk
- 1105 S. Maple, Oak Park
- “Would you run 3.1 miles to help homeless pets? If running isn’t your thing-that’s okay-you can walk! Grab your friends, and family (2 and 4 legged) and join us for the Mutt Strut 5K Run/Walk to benefit animals. Runners and walkers can collect pledges and compete for the top 3 fundraiser prizes. Last year participants raised over $10,000 for homeless animals! After the run, You won’t want to miss the party with music, food, lawn games, pet contests, sponsor give-aways and complementary post-walk massages for our canine walkers!”
10:00 AM: Touch – A – Truck Highland Park
- “Rev up your imagination and meet your hometown heroes! Climb onto the coolest trucks, tractors, cars and more! Check out the view from the driver’s seat at this FREE event for the community at Sunset Woods Park.”
- “Free giveaways and a bounce house will add to the fun. Beavers coffee and donuts will be available for purchase.”
- Sunset Woods Park: 1801 Sunset Road, Highland Park
11:00 AM: Elgin Family Fringe
- Elgin History Museum, 11 am – 3 pm
- Art, face painting, games, magic, and a bouncy house
11:00 AM: Rock The Block Elmhurst
- The corner of Schiller and York Streets in downtown Elmhurst
- Saturday line-up
- 11 to 5 pm • FREE Family Fun Zone
11 am • School of Rock Elmhurst
12:15 pm • One Moment from Glory
2:15 pm • Cowboy JukeBox
4:15 pm • Trippin’ Billies
6:30 pm • ARRA
8:45 pm • Sixteen Candles
- 11 to 5 pm • FREE Family Fun Zone
12:00 PM: Glen Ellyn Backyard BBQ
- 12 pm -10 pm
- Downtown Glen Ellyn
- “The GEBBBQ is a family-friendly event with a BBQ competition, good music and fun attractions for all ages. The event benefits a great organization, Bridge Communities, that helps homeless families get back on their feet. Teams compete in the BBQ competition for prizes like “Best Ribs” “Best Chicken”, “Best Dish” and “Best Sauce” categories. Judges include Kansas City Barbeque Society (KCBS) certified judges, culinary instructors and local civic leaders. The GEBBBQ is the largest non-sanctioned amateur BBQ contest in Illinois.”
1:00 PM: Chicago Bike Revolution
- Humboldt Park
- “Come and enjoy the greatest homegrown show on earth, a local bonanza of bikes, beers and philanthropic fun. This year combines many favorite past ensemble acts plus new and emerging musical talent from around Chicago. It’s a celebration of great beer, good people, and humankind’s most wonderful invention – the bicycle!
bring your bike and join the opening parade to celebrate self-propelled, two-wheel travel. Dress up as your alter ego while raising money for the youth and young people of West Town Bikes.”
- Shae Pond at New Lenox Village Commons
- Arrive anytime between 4 and 6:30
- Enjoy food trucks, music, games, and lantern decoration before launch time between 7 and 8
9:00 AM: Grandparent’s Day Pancake Breakfast
- 1901 E Woodfield Rd., Schaumburg
- “Join us at Maggiano’s – Schaumburg to celebrate Grandparents’ Day with a Pancake Breakfast on Sunday, September 8 from 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM! Enjoy a Pancake Breakfast with all your favorite toppings, scrambled eggs and bacon. Tickets are $15 for adults and $10 for children aged 5 – 12 (tax included). Tickets include a buffet breakfast, juice, coffee, milk, hot tea and iced tea.”
10:30 AM: The 40th Scandinavian Day Festival
- 35W217 Route 31, South Elgin
- $10/pp, children 12 and under are free
- Live entertainment, traditional food, Nordic beer tasting, children’s activities, living history exhibits, and more!
1:00 PM: Frida Fest
- McAninch Arts Center: College of Dupage
- Frida inspired attire is encouraged, admission is free.
- All of this kicks off the debut of the Frida Kahlo 2020 exhibit coming to the Cleve Carney Museum of Art June – August 2020. Interactive arts and crafts conducted by Instituto Grafico de Chicago, loteria games, salsa dance lessons, cooking demonstrations, hair braiding, live music, authentic Mexican food vendors and more!